Our Team

'daDad (38 yo), the Mama (36yo), FarmerBoy (19 yo ds), Gypsygirl (17 yo dd), Miss Petite (16 yo dd),LionHeart (14 yo ds), Red (12 yo ds), Belle (10 yo dd),Nae Nae (7 yo dd),Bunny (2 yo dd), Little Britches (3 months)







Monday, July 12, 2010

Moving On

Another weekend has passed. Saturday the big girls and I did a load of laundry a piece, and then, we went to the park. I think we all enjoyed a change of scenery. They played for a while and then we investigated the garden, fish pond, and creek areas. It's always fun to go on walks with children. It wasn't really planned to be a "nature walk" (as per Charlotte Mason), but it turned out to be one. Nae Nae has chosen 3 trees she wants to keep an eye on for the next few weeks. I believe that they are ginko, tulip, and a fir or pine. I was considering setting up a shared nature journal, where each of the children can add their "collections", notes, pictures,etc. to it, sort of as a nature through the year book. This might be a less laborious way to do nature study, by sharing their interests, and the responsibility of keeping it.
'da Dad worked half a day (at work) Saturday, so he could take Gypsygirl to her livestock auction. She did very well.
Sunday was good. I was out of church with Bunny. I need to ask the children what they remember:). We had 2 guests for the day yesterday. 'da Dad's mother and Farmerboy's friend were with us for lunch, and visited for the rest of the day. I think my honey really enjoyed playing cards with his mama. I plan to have her over more often. I know the children had a good time with their other company, too.
We are going back to a full slate of school work this week. I am excited and I hope the children are as well.
I have been trying to do some extra educational reading. Right now I am reading "The Charlotte Mason Companion" by Karen Andreola. It is pretty good. I realize from this book, why the Robinson Curriculm fits this method of teaching so well. It is all about getting the student to find meaning and knowledge by themselves (self-teaching, advocated by both Robinson and Mason). She would have the lessons much shorter (ours are, but not as short as she would suggest) than Robinson, but much of their ideas are the same. Actually, the first book I read about the Charlotte Mason (or living book) method was "For the Children's Sake" by Susan Schaeffer Macauley (Sp?). It is a very good book, but made me feel very guilty, because of all the suggestions to "diversify" their education. Andreola's book has been a breath of fresh air. I have decided that just having some things available to them, instead of trying to build them into our program would be better. They will pick them up as interest and time allows. This way I can focus our attention on the basics.
I am planning on reading the "Original Homeschool Series" by Charlotte Mason. It is available free online (to read or print at Ambleside Online or An Old Fashioned Education). I will probably print mine, as soon as the internet works at the house again.

Be Blessed.

Psalm 70 Proverbs 12

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete