Our Team

'daDad (38 yo), the Mama (36yo), FarmerBoy (19 yo ds), Gypsygirl (17 yo dd), Miss Petite (16 yo dd),LionHeart (14 yo ds), Red (12 yo ds), Belle (10 yo dd),Nae Nae (7 yo dd),Bunny (2 yo dd), Little Britches (3 months)







Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Children

Yeay, blogger is working today! I was going to post yesterday, but I couldn't use blogger while I was over here at my parents'. So here I am today.
I can't remember anything I was going to blog about either :p.
School is still going very well. All but 2 of the children are done with this year's school work (school year runs from July 1 to June 30 of the next year here). I am so proud of the hard work they have put in. The others are all now working on "next" year's books. These will not actually count toward next year's hours, but it does put them ahead in their level of work. We are expecting to take a bit of a break for the move and the baby's birth, so continuing full speed ahead right now makes sense.
We use several different teaching methods with our children, but we are largely Charlotte Mason/living books/life experiences folks. Our children do some "delight directed" study and exploration on their own, but we would not want their entire education to be that style. We believe that life is full of things we have to do and they may as well learn that early. Don't feel sorry for them, though. Robinson teaches the basics and they enjoy nature, read encyclopedias voraciously, and have access to all kinds of art projects, and they have plenty of time to play outside and imagine. They also work hard and enjoy each other. These things and a thorough exposure to God and His word are what we consider an education.
Sometimes I forget to just really enjoy and appreciate my children. They are such neat people. They have gifts and abilities that God can use. They really like to bless others by making cards or singing, or just saying I love you. I am trying to be more focused on them and less focused on all the "stuff" I think I need to do. Life is more than a to-do list. All that stuff will be forgotten, but my children will remember what kind of mother I was. Did I point them to the Saviour, or did I shuffle them out of the way so could get things done?
My growing family is growing up.
We were unable to hang laundry yesterday, due to rain. It was cool enough not to run the a/c, so we used the dryer. Today it is supposed to be warmer again, and then rain later in the day. Little Red has to get his laundry done early, or it won't be dry on the lines before the rain comes. Yes, even my boys have laundry days. It is a good life skill.
I have been re-reading "Passionate Housewives Desperate for God" by Jennie Chancey and Stacy Mc Donald. My dear husband bought it for me last year. I devoured it in 2 days. This time I am reading it slower, a chapter a day, with my quiet time. I am getting a lot more out of it this time. If you need encouragement as a stay-at-home mom or your wife could use it, it is available from Vision Forum.
Be blessed.
Psalm 34 Proverbs 8

No comments:

Post a Comment